Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Now available: C. J. Huff and the Assassination of a Teacher's Character

(From Sept. 9, 2013) Only one crime was alleged during the 10-hour hearing and as far as I can remember it never made its way into the Joplin Globe or was featured on any of the TV newscasts. That was when I told how I was attacked by a student two years earlier and it was covered up by the administrators at East Middle School. It was that experience that led me to finish writing No Child Left Alive.

After the board issued its 7-0 ruling against me, I continued to apply for teaching jobs. I applied for eight over the summer, six of which were for the course I had been teaching for the biggest part of the last 14 years. Not only did I not get a job, I never even got an interview....and one of those jobs was for an eighth grade communication arts teacher at an area school, where the principal was one of the three people who had provided a reference for me.

I can't blame the people at the other schools. Would you want to have to deal with parents who want to know why you hired someone who had been accused of "grooming" children, someone who was described by the hero of the Joplin Tornado as someone who was too dangerous to be around children?

I have never been a sociable person, but as I noted at the beginning of this long post, things have been even worse since April 8. I am totally uncomfortable around people I have known for years. I don't know what to say, and though I know I shouldn't, I worry about the idea that there are people out there who believe what C. J. Huff and the rest of his hired crew said about me.

I don't know how much good it will do, but as far as I can see, the only way to get out the story of the mugging that took place May 23 at 32nd and Duquesne is to print the entire transcript of the hearing, starting with the prosecutor reading every excerpt from my book that had sex or bad language in it and ending with the feeling that 10 hours had been wasted and the decision was already a done deal.

I have published the transcript as an e-book. I had intended to make it so cheap that anyone could pay 99 cents or $1.99 and find out for themselves what happened. Unfortunately, it is so long that I would have had  to have paid everyone to download and I cannot afford to do that. I did not change a word. I uploaded the PDF document that was sent to me by my attorney.

It costs $5 and even though it is a public document, I would suggest if you have any desire to download it that you do so quickly- I have a feeling this is not something the crew at 32nd and Duquesne wants spread throughout the Joplin R-8 School District.

No comments:

Post a Comment