Tuesday, December 3, 2013

C. J. Huff on politics: I lean to the right

(From July 31, 2013)
The latest Joplin Schools Watch  blog post runs an article Joplin R-8 Superintendent C. J. Huff wrote for the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce magazine explaining Common Core Standards.

In the article, Huff says Common Core Standards are a step in the right direction and he explains his political beliefs:

I typically stay out of politics. As a servant to all students and families regardless of political affiliations, it’s not healthy for a superintendent to engage in those debates. In my view, there is no place for politics in schools outside of teaching civic responsibility, the need to be well informed when voting for elected officials and on specific ballot measures. I think we would all agree that Southwest Missouri leans to the right, as do I. So when I first received word that our state, along with many others, was working on common standards with a common assessment I was excited. The conservative, competitive side of me said, “Finally, we are going to get the opportunity to see how our education system measures up to other states.” The playing field was about to be leveled. We were going to show them what we’ve got. The competition to see who could raise up the best and brightest students in the country was about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment